The old-fashioned rice pudding recipe that your grandmother and mother probably used to make calls for arborio rice, but this is a type of rice that has fallen out of favor in recent years.
It’s still available at most grocery stores, so it isn’t hard to find. Still, you’ll notice the price difference when it is next to its more famous cousins such as basmati or jasmine.
Arborio rice is stickier than other varieties and makes for a creamier texture when cooked; however, if you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are allergic to gluten, there are many suitable substitutes for arborio rice for rice pudding without sacrificing flavor.
Read on for some helpful tips about alternative ingredients in your favorite recipes!
7 Arborio Rice Substitute for Rice Pudding
1. BASMATI RICE- A Easy Alternative to Arborio Rice for Rice Pudding
Basmati rice is long-grain, aromatic rice. It is light and fluffy and has a nutty flavor. Basmati rice is a good choice for making rice pudding.
To make rice pudding, you will need:
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. Bring the milk to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir the rice, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract into the boiling milk.
2. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, often stirring for about 40 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the pudding has thickened.
3. Remove from heat; allow to cool a bit before serving. Top with a splash of milk if you wish.
2. JAPANESE SHORT-GRAIN- Sticky easy make Rice Pudding substitute for Arborio
Japanese Short grain AKA Sushi Rice can good choice for making rice pudding instead of Arborio.
Sushi rice is a short-grain rice that is sticky and has a slightly sweet flavor.
Japanese short-grain is perfect for making rice pudding because it will absorb the milk and sugar and create a creamy and delicious dish.
If you want to make a traditional rice pudding, you can follow this recipe:
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Noncompulsory toppings: whipped cream, berries, nuts, etc.
1. In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the sushi rice.
2. Heat the milk and salt on low heat until warm in a medium saucepan.
3. Add the rice, sugar, and vanilla extract to the milk mixture. Stir frequently for about 45 minutes or more, depending on how thick you want your pudding to be.
4. Remove from heat and top with any additional toppings you would like.
The rice pudding should have a similar consistency to risotto or cream of wheat. It can also be refrigerated overnight if it becomes too thick, in which case you may need to add more milk before serving.
3. MEDIUM-GRAIN WHITE RICE
You can use medium-grain white rice for rice pudding.
However, you may want to try different types of rice to see which one produces the best results.
Rice pudding is a simple dish that tends to be made with whatever type of rice the cook prefers, but medium-grain white rice is common for this purpose.
You can mix the different types of rice to make your own version of rice pudding.
4. JASMINE RICE
Jasmine rice pudding is a delicious and easy dessert to make.
The jasmine rice gives the pudding a light, sweet flavor that pairs well with most sweeteners. to make jasmine rice pudding,
you will need:
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. First, rinse the rice in a fine-mesh strainer.
2. Then, combine the rice, water, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and cover the pan.
4. Simmer the rice until all of the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
5. Add the milk, butter, and vanilla extract to the pan and stir to combine.
6. Continue cooking the pudding over low heat until it reaches your desired consistency, stirring often.
7. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!
5. CONVERTED RICE
Rice pudding is a portion of classic comfort food that can be eaten sweet or savory.
Most people think of rice pudding as a dessert, but it can also be the main course.
Converting regular white rice to converted white rice will make your rice pudding creamier and less likely to stick to the pan.
1. To make converted white rice, simply add 1 1/2 cups of water to every cup of uncooked white rice.
2. Let the pot of water come to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cover the pot with.
3. Simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat and let sit for five more minutes.
4. Fluff with a fork and use regular white rice.
6. INSTANT RICE
To make rice pudding with instant rice, start by boiling water in a pot on the stove.
Once it’s boiled, reduce the flame to low and let sit for 10-15 minutes until cooked through, then add milk & sugar before serving warm!
7. REGULAR LONG GRAIN
Regular long grain rice can use to make rice pudding.
However, the pudding may not be as creamy and thick as if made with Arborio rice.
Arborio rice is short-grain rice specifically used to make risotto and rice pudding because of its high starch content.
This starch helps to create a creamy texture.
Read More- Try Best alternatives to Arborio Rice for Soup
Is Arborio rice the same as pudding rice?
Arborio rice is short-grain white rice that is often used to make dishes like risotto and pudding.
On the other hand, Pudding rice is a type of long-grain white rice that is typically used in desserts or as a side dish.
While the two types of rice have some similarities, they are not the same.
Do you need to wash Arborio rice before cooking?
No, you do not need to wash Arborio rice before cooking it. This type of rice is pre-washed and ready to use.
However, if you use another type of rice, you should always wash it before cooking. Washing the rice removes any excess starch and makes it less sticky when cooked.
How long does homemade rice pudding last?
Homemade rice pudding will last for up to 3 days in the fridge.
However, it is best eaten within the first two days. If you want to store it for longer, you can freeze it for up to 2 months.
Rice pudding is a great dessert to make ahead of time and then thaw out when you are ready to eat it.
Do you need special rice for rice pudding?
No, you do not need special rice for rice pudding. Any white rice will work just fine.
However, long-grain rice is typically recommended because it has a less sticky texture and tends to hold its shape better when cooked.
Short grain rice is more likely to become mushy when used in the pudding.
Wrap up on- Substitutes for Arborio to Make Rice Pudding
Rice pudding is a traditional dessert that can be made with many ingredients.
While Arborio rice provides the best consistency and flavor, we’ve provided substitutes for other types of rice to help you make this recipe, even if Arborio isn’t available in your area or on hand at home.
You might find one you like better than the original!
Whatever type of rice you use, just keep stirring until it becomes thick and creamy before adding milk and sugar.
The result will be a delicious treat perfect for cold winter nights.
What do you think? Will these substitutions work well enough? Which substitution did you try?
Share your thoughts below!
Q1. Which type of rice is best for rice pudding?
When making rice pudding, long-grain white rice is generally recommended.
Converted or parboiled rice has been steamed and dried after the hulling process.
Many people prefer this type of rice for its capacity to withstand overcooking and remain more firm than regular white rice.
Q2. Why is rice pudding healthy?
Rice puddings are usually low in fat, cholesterol, and sodium. They also don’t have any saturated/trans fats or added sugars.
A serving of rice pudding can provide you with a significant amount of the daily recommended value for calcium and iron, as well as a good source of magnesium.
Rice pudding is an ideal comfort food choice for people looking for a healthy dessert option.
Q3. How do you thicken rice pudding?
There are a few different ways to thicken rice pudding. One way is to add cornstarch or flour to the mixture.
Another way is to cook the pudding over low heat until it thickens on its own.
You can also add some cooked, mashed potato to the pudding mixture to help thicken it up.
Q4.What is the difference between Arborio and Basmati rice?
-Arborio is a starchy, short-grain white rice that is most commonly used in risotto.
-Basmati is a long-grain, aromatic rice native to the Indian subcontinent. It is light and fluffy and has a nutty flavor.
-Arborio rice absorbs flavors better and is creamier than Basmati.
-Basmati rice is less absorbent and has a dryer texture than Arborio.
-Basmati rice has a higher gluten content than Arborio rice.
-Arborio rice is more affordable than Basmati rice.