This is about how to substitute butter in white sauce pasta. I am writing this because I want to share my knowledge with you and hopefully inspire you!
We all know that butter does not have the same nutritional value as olive oil or canola oil, but sometimes we just need it for taste.
Butter has a better flavor than oils when cooking with garlic and onions, two of the most common ingredients in many sauces like Alfredo sauce.
So if you’re looking for a way to make your favorite dish healthier without compromising on taste, then read on!
What is the function of butter in white sauce?
Butter is the fat that is used to thicken and flavor white sauce. It helps to add richness and a creamy texture to the sauce.
Butter also helps to stabilize the sauce, preventing it from separating or becoming too thick.
In addition, butter adds flavor to the sauce, making it taste better.
Without butter, the white sauce would be a much less flavorful sauce. Butter is not traditionally used as an ingredient in white sauce.
7 Real Substitute of Butter in White Sauce Pasta
Below seven alternatives to butter can linger the same taste of white sauce pasta. No one can ever find that pasta does not have butter.
1. Use GHEE Instead of Butter in White Sauce Pasta
Cut down on butter or pick a healthier alternative to make pasta without compromising taste.
Ghee is an excellent choice for this purpose. Ghee is clarified butter, which means that the milk particles have been removed, leaving just pure fat that can be warmed to high temperatures without burning.
Use it just like you would use regular butter but keep in mind that a little goes a long way.
- 1/4 cup ghee (or butter)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound pasta of your choice
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Ghee is a dairy product made from butter. It is an excellent substitute for butter because it contains the same amount of fat as an equal portion of butter. Still, it does not contain any milk solids.
Keep in Mind. When using ghee instead of butter in white sauce pasta, you will need to add a little more ghee, as it has a lower water content than butter.
Ghee also has a slightly nutty flavor that will complement the sauce’s flavor.
2. CREAM CHEESE in White Sauce Pasta Replace of Butter
This is a great pasta dish that you can easily make with items that you already have in your pantry.
The sauce is made with cream cheese, which gives it a nice creamy texture and a slightly tangy flavor.
Ingredients: (for Cream Cheese in White Sauce Pasta )
- 1 x 300g Cream Cheese (replace butter)
- 250 ml Milk
- 2 tbsp Flour
- salt (1/4 tsp for replacing butter and cream cheese)
- Nutmeg (optional, a pinch for replacing butter and cream cheese)
- 1 kg pasta (for replacement of butter in baking)
1. Prepare the pasta according to the packet directions. Set aside after draining.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, Stir in the flour and salt, and cook for 1 minute.
3. Gradually whisk in the milk, and continue to whisk until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
4. Reduce the flame to low, and stir in the cream cheese until melted. Add nutmeg if using.
5. Toss the cooked pasta in the saucepan until well coated. Serve right away.
– only a pinch of nutmeg to replace butter and cream cheese – salt 1/4 tsp for replacing butter and cream cheese
3. Your FAVOURITE OIL Alternative to Butter in White Sauce Pasta
Using oil instead of butter in white sauce pasta is a trick that I use in cooking, and it’s handy and yet simple to do.
I just use oil instead of butter when I want to make pasta – white sauce or tomato sauce. It saves a lot of calories and tastes delicious!
WHITE SAUCE PASTA (MAKES 4 SERVINGS) Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour (Maida)
- 1 & 1/2 cup Milk (I used fat-free milk) ( You can use other plant based vegan milk same as cow’s milk)
- Salt as per taste (only if using unsalted oil, otherwise no need to add salt here)
1. Make an all-purpose flour paste with little water (3-4 tbsp).
2. Warm the oil in a pot and add this paste. Stir constantly to prevent lumps from occurring.
3. Once the sauce is cooked well (it will start to smell nice), add milk and salt (if used).
4. Keep stirring till the sauce thickens.
5. Add pasta of your choice and serve hot.
Note to Remember: If you avoid oil entirely in your diet, use any vegetable broth instead of oil and follow the same recipe above. –
You can also add vegetables (peas, corn, or capsicum) to this pasta for added nutrition.
4. MARGARINE Substitute for Butter In White Sauce Pasta
Looking for a butter-free white sauce pasta recipe? Margarine is an excellent substitute for butter in white sauce pasta recipes.
Margarine gives the sauce a creamy texture and a slightly nutty flavor.
Here’s how to make a white sauce pasta dish with margarine:
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Dash of black pepper
- 3 ounces grated cheese (Gouda works great)
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- Cooked pasta, as much as needed
1. Melt margarine in a pan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for about two minutes, stirring continuously.
2. Slowly pour in the milk, then stir in pepper and cheese to taste.
3. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then turn off the heat.
4. Transfer to a bowl (make sure it’s big enough for the pasta),
5. Then serve over cooked hot pasta with a garnish of parsley. Your white sauce pasta is ready without butter.
5. MAYONNAISE Butter Substitute in White Sauce Pasta
We love pasta and mayo, so I thought, why not combine the two into a great-tasting dish!
We know that mayonnaise has about 100 calories per tablespoon and how it can add up to be 200 extra calories when you add in this side dish.
But if you do the math on this recipe, 4 tablespoons of butter is about 204 calories.
So, this recipe not only saves you on calories, but it also saves you money!
- · 1 cup mayonnaise
- · 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- · 1 teaspoon salt
- · 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- · 2 cups milk
- · 12 ounces fettuccine pasta
- · 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves, thyme leaves, basil leaves
- · 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1. Take a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, flour, salt, and pepper.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring milk to a simmer over medium heat.
3. Gradually add mayonnaise mixture, constantly stirring with a wire whisk, until sauce is thick and bubbly.
4. Remove from heat; stir in the cheddar cheese.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain well; toss with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and herbs. Serve with cheese sauce and Parmesan cheese.
I hope you like it as much as we do! It’s a terrific way to consume a nice, filling meal without consuming all of the extra calories.
Plus, it is easy to make and perfect for any occasion. Give it a crack today!
6. VEGAN BUTTER
I am a massive fan of white sauce pasta. There are many vegan butter substitutes, but I use the one made with cashews.
The best replacement for cream is coconut cream, which can be very rich at times, so I mix it with cashew butter to make the sauce creamy without making it heavy.
This sauce is suitable for all the pasta; the only thing you need to do is adjust the sauce’s consistency according to your pasta.
7. HOMEMADE White Sauce without Butter for Pasta
I decided to share my own recipe of homemade white sauce (Italian sauce) without butter that is dairy-free and vegan.
- · – 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight
- · – 2 cups vegetable broth or stock
- · – 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- · – 2 cloves garlic, minced
- · – 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- · – 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- · – Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
How to Prepare:
1. In a skillet over medium heat, warm the oil and add the garlic. Cook for roughly 1 minute over moderate flame.
Add the vegetable broth, cashews, nutritional yeast flakes, Italian seasoning, and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
2. Bring the blend to a boil and then reduce to low heat for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Serve with your favorite pasta. Enjoy!
This dairy-free white sauce (Italian sauce) is perfect for anyone on a vegan or dairy-free diet. It’s also a great alternative to the store-bought white sauce that contains butter.
How can you make the white sauce without cheese and Butter?
White sauce pasta without butter and cheese is relatively easy. The white sauce is one of the favorite sauces for many people, but it contains a lot of fat.
I’ll describe how you can make the white sauce without cheese and Butter.
The white sauce is suitable for various dishes served as a side dish or starter. Here are 4 tips to replace cheese with other products in cooking.
1. Mixes of milk products make a suitable replacement for dairy cheese. And it contains less fat and calories. Buttermilk, curdled milk, sour cream, yogurt, or soy milk can be used as an alternative to the white sauce with cheese.
2. If you want to use buttermilk in the white sauce, then you need to add flour and cornstarch to thicken it.
3. If you want to use curdled milk, you can add all-purpose flour or cornstarch for thickening.
4. You can also use sour cream to replace cheese in white sauce. It will add richness to the sauce.
5. Some people like to add soy milk in the white sauce instead of cheese and Butter. Soy milk contains less fat and cholesterol than cow’s milk, but it has a similar flavor.
If you enjoy using soy milk in the place of white sauce, you should add some powdered sugar for sweetness because soy milk does not contain sugar.
In conclusion, you can use various milk products to replace cheese in white sauce.
Soy milk is also a suitable choice for those who want to reduce their fat and cholesterol intake.
To enhance the flavor of the white sauce, you can include other ingredients such as herbs, spices, or vegetables.
How can you prepare white sauce without milk?
There are several ways to make white sauce without milk.
One way (My Preference) is to use dairy-free milk (same taste as regular milk) such as soy milk, almond milk, or rice milk.
Another way is to use vegan cheese such as Daiya cheese. You can also use a thickener such as cornstarch or flour.
Whichever method you choose, stir the sauce constantly while it is cooking to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
If you are using dairy-free milk, you will need to add a thickener such as cornstarch or flour. Add your dairy-free milk and continue stirring until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
If you are using vegan cheese, add it directly to the pan once the sauce has reached a boiling point. Mix constantly until the cheese melts and the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
No matter which method you choose, stir the white sauce constantly while it is cooking to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
This will ensure that your sauce turns out smooth and creamy every time.
Wrap Up On – Butter Substitute in White Sauce Pasta
After trying all of those ingredients in white sauce pasta without butter, My all-time favorite is – Milk, Ghee, Cream Cheese, Homemade white sauce for pasta.
Hope you Enjoy my alternatives and give you a perfect answer. Stay blessed and happy cooking!
What can you substitute for butter in Alfredo sauce?
There are several options for substituting butter in Alfredo sauce:
Olive oil: Use extra-virgin olive oil to add a rich and slightly fruity flavor to the sauce.
Margarine: Choose a non-dairy margarine that is suitable for your dietary needs.
Coconut oil: The creamy texture and subtle tropical flavor of coconut oil can work well as a butter alternative.
Cashew cream: Blend soaked cashews with water until smooth to create a creamy base for the sauce.
Avocado: Mashed avocado can add a smooth and creamy consistency to the sauce while providing healthy fats.
Non-dairy butter alternatives: Look for non-dairy butter substitutes made from plant-based oils, such as soy or almond, which can mimic the texture and flavor of traditional butter.